Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My visit to the Van Gogh museum

When I was in Holland (for the second time) this summer, me and my mum went to Amsterdam to look at art. We went to the Rijksmuseum, but I didn't find it very interesting, but I actually liked the Van Gogh museum, which is strange because I seriously thought that I would never get myself into a gallery. I'm not the most arty person and don't have time for most of the modern rubbish which doesn't take any talent. Well, if it does, it's not very visible. I like pictures that look like they took time and required skill and a steady hand. Above all, it has to be something real. Either that, or extremely pretty.

There was only one painting that I actually had a problem with. And that was Sunflowers. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice painting, but seeing it for real, with my face only about 40cm away from it made me notice a mistake. I usually like the painting, but whenever or however I looked at it, all I could see was a blob. A blob of yellow paint from the background splattered on one of the flowers. I tried to ignore it but, for me it was ruined.

On the picture of it below the circle with a thin outline is a big thick patch of paint (it's not obvious on that, but in real life it's a big picture and it's obviously clearer and you can see the texture). This was the first bit that I noticed when I saw the painting, and then when I looked downwards, to my horror, there was 'the blob'. Again, as this is only a small picture you can't see it very well, but on the real one, it's much more, errr *thinks of a word to use instead of obvious for the third time* hmmm obvious. Even when I stepped back and looked again, all I could see was the little imperfection on an otherwise wonderful painting. Yeah, now I'm looking at that picture on here properly, the blob looks miniscule. Still, I can't help but take notice of it everytime.



I therefore name my favourite Van Gogh painting (out of the ones from this museum, I haven't seen any others!) is:

'Almond Blossom'

It's my favourite mainly because of the background colour, which doesn't come across on this one (click the link) unfortunately. It's so vibrant, I think it's great! I've even bought a small copy of it, which is going to be framed and will live on my bedroom wall.

If you get the opportunity to go, I would if I were you. But it's quite expensive compared to other places, so if you're like me and can get away with looking younger than 18, you can get in for 2.50 euros instead of 13.50 euros. *whistles and walks away pretending not to have told a lie to get in cheap* tee hee. Don't tell anyone though, mum said I had to keep it a secret. I don't lie usually, honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home